Music by Eric Rockwell
Lyrics by Joanne Bogart
Book by Eric Rockwell and Joanne Bogart
Directed and Choreographed by Jolene Vettese
Music Direction by Lucia LaNave
Produced by Kate Keifer
October 15 – November 7, 2021
This production is part of RCP’s Apprentice Program and auditions are open only to youth in 7th-12th grades (ages 12-18) as of the 2021-22 school year.
SATURDAY JULY 17 @ 2-5pm
SUNDAY JULY 18 @ 2-5pm
There are no callbacks planned for this production
Auditions will be held in person at
RCP’s Rehearsal Hall & Scene Shop
266 Sunset Park Drive
Herndon, VA 20170
The Musical of Musicals (The Musical!) is a musical about musicals! In this hilarious satire of musical theatre, one story becomes five delightful musicals, each written in the distinctive style of a different master of the form. The basic plot: June is an ingenue who can’t pay the rent and is threatened by her evil landlord. Will the handsome leading man come to the rescue? The variations are: a Rodgers & Hammerstein version, set in Kansas in August, complete with a dream ballet; a Sondheim version, featuring the landlord as a tortured artistic genius who slashes the throats of his tenants in revenge for not appreciating his work; a Jerry Herman version, as a splashy star vehicle; an Andrew Lloyd Webber version, a rock musical with themes borrowed from Puccini; and a Kander & Ebb version, set in a speakeasy in Chicago. This comic valentine to musical theatre was the longest-running show in the York Theatre Company’s 35-year history before moving off-Broadway.
ALL ROLES ARE OPEN
- These auditions are open to any student in 7th through 12th grade as of the 2021-22 school year (or ages 12-18). Please note there are no roles available for adults.
Performers of any race, ethnicity or gender are welcomed and encouraged to audition.
Please prepare the following:
- A 32 bar cut of ANY musical theater song. Bring sheet music in the appropriate key and have your cut clearly marked. We will provide an accompanist but will not be able to transcribe your music.
- A 1-minute comedic monologue.
- Please be dressed and ready to move in comfortable clothes and dance/movement shoes. Auditionees will learn a short movement combination during the audition.
- Please wear a mask inside the building unless actively performing/auditioning
- You must sign up for an audition slot and submit an online Audition Form prior to your audition. The links to both (the Audition Form is a Google form) are on the right side of this page.
- Be prepared to provide ALL CONFLICTS AND TRAVEL PLANS when filling out the Audition Form.
ALL actors cast in the show are required to also be available for strike on November 7. This is a mandatory date.
If you are cast, you may be asked to provide certain garments (especially undergarments), shoes or other personal items.
- This production is part of RCP’s Apprentice Program for youth.
- There is a $300 participation fee for all participants. Fee waivers are available for students in need.
- The script is divided into five sections and there are four basic character-types in each section. Performers cast in this production will have an opportunity to play more than one of the character-types across the five sections as well as ensemble roles so performers will not be auditioning for any specific character.
- Although the script for this show typically calls for four performers, we will be casting TWO CASTS of eight performers each for a total of 16. Each cast will do five performances.
- Rehearsals will begin in early August and may be held on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday evenings and/or Saturdays. Scheduling will be built around actors’ conflicts as submitted.
- Rehearsals will start at 2-3 per week and build to at least four per week as tech week approaches.
HOW TO FIND US
Once you enter the Sunset Business Park from Spring Street, head to the Left.
RCP is in the back left corner of the Business Park, near the tree line closest to the Fairfax County Parkway.
PLEASE NOTE: We are NOT NextStop Theatre/Industrial Strength Theater – we are located on the opposite side of the Business Park as NextStop/IST.
Contact the Producer, Kate Keifer at firstname.lastname@example.org
RCP is an all-volunteer community organization so performers do not receive any payment and no roles are pre-cast. RCP welcomes actors of all ethnicities to audition.
Reston Community Players is committed to the health and safety of RCP volunteers, the Reston Community Center, and their combined patrons and audiences.
It is our goal to maintain the highest standards of health and safety to mitigate chances of exposure to COVID-19 while rehearsing and performing in person. As such, RCP is requiring every participant in our in-person activities to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
In addition to increasing policies of safety, it is equally important to make sure cast, crew, and patrons feel safe while working on and experiencing live entertainment. It is recognized and understood that there is an inherent level of risk to the performance and attendance of in person events, but it is important that we work together to limit exposure and chances of infection.
Auditionees acknowledge the inherent risk of rehearsing and performing in-person at this time. As such we will and expect all cast and crew to carry a mutual respect for each other and the company. COVID protocols are in place, and will be followed by all parties.