Bright Star is presented through special arrangement with and all authorized performance materials are supplied by Theatrical Rights Worldwide, 1180 Avenue of the Americas, Suite 640, New York, NY 10036. www.theatricalrights.com
Music, Book & Story by Steve Martin
Music, Lyrics & Story by Edie Brickell
Directed by Rich Farella
Music Direction by Josh Cleveland
Choreography by Paige Wakefield
Produced by Janet Bordeaux
January 14-29, 2022
SATURDAY OCTOBER 9 @ 2-7pm
MONDAY OCTOBER 11 @ 7-10pm
WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 13 @ 7-10pm
Callbacks are by invitation only and will be held on Sunday October 17
Auditions will be held in person at
RCP’s Rehearsal Hall & Scene Shop
266 Sunset Park Drive
Herndon, VA 20170
Created by comedy legend Steve Martin and Grammy winner Edie Brickell, Bright Star tells a sweeping tale of love and redemption set against the backdrop of the American South in the 1920s and ‘40s. This richly emotional story weaves together two chapters in the life of literary editor Alice Murphy; the first, as a young backwoods girl in love with the son of a prominent family; and the second, as a mentor to a young soldier just back from the war. Propelled by a rousing country and bluegrass score and brimming with charm, Bright Star is a refreshingly original and daringly hopeful theatrical journey that will hold audiences tightly in its grasp.
ALL ROLES ARE OPEN
Performers of any race, ethnicity or gender are welcomed and encouraged to audition.
Appointments are not necessary but are highly recommended as slots will be available for walk ups.
- If you are late for your selected time slot, you will be given the next available time slot.
- Please prepare a song in the style of the show but not from Bright Star that best shows off your voice and acting abilities. We are looking to hear approximately 16-32 bars.
- BRING YOUR SHEET MUSIC FOR THE PIANO ACCOMPANIST!
- Be prepared to have the music director test your range
- Unless the director asks you to read from the script, you will not read at the initial audition.
- Be prepared for a brief dance audition — dress in comfortable clothing and footwear that you can move in safely, i.e. athletic or dance shoes.
- Please wear a mask inside the building unless actively performing/auditioning
- You must submit an online Audition Form prior to your audition. The link (the Audition Form is a Google form) is on the right side of this page.
- Be prepared to provide ALL CONFLICTS AND TRAVEL PLANS when filling out the Audition Form.
ALL actors cast in the show are required to also be available for strike on January 30. This is a mandatory date.
If you are cast, you may be asked to provide certain garments (especially undergarments), shoes or other personal items.
HOW TO FIND US
Once you enter the Sunset Business Park from Spring Street, head to the Left.
RCP is in the back left corner of the Business Park, near the tree line closest to the Fairfax County Parkway.
PLEASE NOTE: We are NOT NextStop Theatre/Industrial Strength Theater – we are located on the opposite side of the Business Park as NextStop/IST.
Contact the Producer, Janet Bordeaux at email@example.com.
RCP is an all-volunteer community organization so performers do not receive any payment and no roles are pre-cast. RCP welcomes actors of all ethnicities to audition.
Reston Community Players is committed to the health and safety of RCP volunteers, the Reston Community Center, and their combined patrons and audiences.
It is our goal to maintain the highest standards of health and safety to mitigate chances of exposure to COVID-19 while rehearsing and performing in person. As such, RCP IS REQUIRING EVERY PARTICIPANT IN OUR IN-PERSON ACTIVITIES TO SHOW PROOF OF VACCINATION AGAINST COVID-19. In addition, all volunteers and participants are required to wear masks inside our facility at all times.
In addition to increasing policies of safety, it is equally important to make sure cast, crew, and patrons feel safe while working on and experiencing live entertainment. It is recognized and understood that there is an inherent level of risk to the performance and attendance of in person events, but it is important that we work together to limit exposure and chances of infection.
Auditionees acknowledge the inherent risk of rehearsing and performing in-person at this time. As such we will and expect all cast and crew to carry a mutual respect for each other and the company. COVID protocols are in place, and will be followed by all parties.